Signs That Your Carpet May Be Harboring Mold

You may think mold under the carpet is only related to flooding or major damage, but even small, unattended spills can cause problems over time. Carpets are, unfortunately, susceptible to mold because of their components. Once mold begins to grow, it can spread incredibly fast and it can be very hard to identify if you actually have it. There are a few tell-tale signs that can help you determine if there is an unwanted presence of mold under your carpets.

    Green Carpet Cleaning

    When water comes in contact with your carpet, even a small amount can do damage if it isn’t treated. If you have a leak, cleanup is necessary especially if it’s in the basement or lowering level area. Even a tiny water spill can quickly develop into something you don’t want – clean the spills immediately.

        Age of Your Carpet

        No one wants to replace their carpets, so we may hold onto them for way too long. But you may not know that the older the carpet, the more prone to mold development. In fact, many people think that the musty smell is just the smell of an aging carpet, but they would be wrong.

            Strange Musty Smell

            You may notice an overwhelmingly musty basement, but if you live or work in a place that has mold issues, you may not notice it. You’ve likely adjusted to this smell, but visitors or clients that enter your space will notice the stench, take their comments seriously and get your carpets tested.

                Odd Coloring of Carpet

                If mold is taking up residence, your carpet may show color changes, staining of green or black spots. If you notice this off-putting discoloration, check underneath before it spreads.

                    Allergies

                    The presence of mold can cause allergies in most people, as well as asthma or bronchitis. If someone in your workplace or home suddenly develops symptoms of these health problems, you need to have your carpet checked. Remember that not everyone’s health is affected by mold, but it can be a symptom of moisture gone awry.